RE: Team Building

Subject: RE: Team Building
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:34:09 -0500

Huh?

Okay, I've had my fill of team building: it reads like a bad Dilbert cartoon
<vbg>.

I wonder if fire fighters and police officers do team building? What if they
don't? Maybe team building is built into those jobs: wandering around inside
a burning structure with three other guys (that's gender neutral, folks)
might qualify as team building and the job at the same time.

Similarly, in tech writing, maybe taking the SME out for a beer because they
did a particularly good job or were helpful (or vice-versa) counts as team
building. Maybe recognizing that the SME put long hours into the project
up-front and the writer put long hours in at the end of the development
cycle is team building? Maybe saying "hallo" in the morning, or sharing a
lunch break . . .?

What I'm saying is that the naked in the woods thing might be all touchy
feely, but if that is **needed** to help people in the office get along,
maybe the battle is already lost.

Anyway, back to work or I'll miss my deadline and an SME will team-build my
head with a two-by-four. <vbg>

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com