RE: log vs login

Subject: RE: log vs login
From: "McClare, Scott" <smcclare -at- neptec -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:34:56 -0500

Jane Bergen [mailto:jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net] said:

> Sorry, Katie, but you lose here. Login and Logout are commonly
> recognized as the names of the dialogs (not "screens" --- "screen" is
> the entire visible area of your monitor! You clean your monitor
> "screen") for logging in and logging out.

I think you're assuming too much. I don't believe Katie actually specified
the sort of system she was documenting; what you say may be true for a
Windows95/98/NT system, but on a UNIX box it *isn't* a "login dialog" - it's
the whole screen. (Even an X terminal shows you nothing more than a login
prompt at first, so it's fair to call it a "login screen.")

And if it *is* a Microsoft system, then the correct terminology would be
"dialog box," not "dialog." 8-) Microsoft style, if you follow it,
specifically says not to call those little windows "dialogs."

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott A. McClare - Technical Writer
Neptec Design Group Ltd., Kanata, Ontario, Canada