RE: he/she

Subject: RE: he/she
From: Hal Wrobel <hwrobel -at- toptier -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:53:56 -0800

Hello all,

I've found that it's usually possible in technical documentation to
avoid the gender issue altogether by using gerunds.

LIke this:
Selecting (clicking, double-clicking, kissing and hugging) the X
button (or whatever) enables (permits, allows, totally obliterates
any
possibility of) verb+ing the Web browser (or whatever).

Though this usage may have somewhat of a "drying" affect on the
style (not
necessarily a bad thing), I find it preferable to he/she, or s(he),
or any
other of the gender-bending solutions I've come across on this list
or
elsewhere.

Hal Wrobel
TopTier - Israel