Re: Use of "You"

Subject: Re: Use of "You"
From: Mitchell Gibbs <gibbs -at- gnv -dot- fdt -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:50:03 -0500

Joanne,

When you're in class, do what your instructors tell you to do.

When you're part of a tech. writing department, do what your boss tells you
to do, or what your style guide tells you to do.

When you're in a position to make the decision yourself, research the list
archives on this topic, then decide what's appropriate for your audience.

At 10:17 AM 11/29/99 -0500, Joanne Meehl wrote:
>Hi all,
>Two of the instructors in my Tech Writing program at Northeastern Univ. say
>"NEVER use 'you' in technical documentation". They don't mean the writer
>should eliminate the implied "you", as in "Click the right mouse button".
>They just don't like the sound of "you"--they say it's too casual or
>familiar.
>
>But some of you are saying it works. What's a newbie like me to do?! I
>don't want to start a thread like "he/she", so please respond privately,
>particularly those of you who've had to make this decision and choose
>between "you" and phrases like "the user". I want to do what's right without
>doing flavor-of-the-month.

Mitchell Gibbs
Technical Writer
Advantage Software, Inc.