RE: numbering in styles in word

Subject: RE: numbering in styles in word
From: kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
To: <Alexandra -dot- Sutherland -at- aspect -dot- com -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:40:15 -0600

Please see my insertions, below.

[Kimber remarked:] <Alexandra wrote (in part)>
3. Open the Bullets and Numbering dialog box by clicking the Numbering...
button.
4. Click on your numbering/bullet style and click the Customize button.
5. On the Customize Numbered List dialog box, fill in the 'Indented at:' to
set your paragraph indent.
NB: If you are doing headings (using the Outline Numbered tab) - don't
forget to click the More.... button (on the Customize Numbered List) and
complete the options. Setting heading styles this way is a good thing to do
but takes a bit of working out. If you can't work it out from the MS doco,
mail me and I'll write it up for you. <end quote>

[Kimber remarked:] This is what works for me, also. In fact, I simply leave the
Indent spacing for the Paragraph at 0" and use only the Customize features. Now
that I do this, I do not have to use the macro that's been offered on this list,
nor create tab lists by hand.

Alex goes on to explain that, in her experience, the order in which you create
preferences matters. This makes sense to me, although I have not had to use
these styles as extensively in templates as it seems that Alex has used them.

Note: I still have to select "Restart Numbering" when I begin a new numbered
list, but I no longer have the hair-pulling/head-banging sessions with Word that
I had in the past.

I know that most of the auto-num features of Word are annoying. But some can be
de-selected in the Options and setting the indents for the list in the
"Customize" settings seems to be the solution that has hitherto escaped many of
us. I was profoundly relieved when I tried it and it worked. Give it a go.

Best wishes,

Kimber

Kimber Miller
Affiliated Computer Services