Re: Resumes/Interviewing

Subject: Re: Resumes/Interviewing
From: Kimberly <JKWilson -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 01:39:18 -0500

One more comment on this topic, then I'll quit, I promise.

I seek advice. I do not have a degree but I have attended college, studying
engineering, information systems, business and English. This is what I
state (exactly this way) on my resume, near the end.

I have three solid years of tech writing experience, and two additional
years of pseudo-tw as part of a technical support job where I was the SME.
I have been in the IT workforce for ten years.

I am currently attending college again, and will graduate in about 18
months, but I am not studying anything related to tech writing or even IT
or business. (I am a religious studies and sociology major; that's a
different story.)

My question: is there any value to mentioning on my resume (without naming
the major) that I am attending college right now? With the level of
experience I described above, does it sound like I am an energetic
go-getter who is willing to learn and intent on improving herself, or more
like a loser who STILL hasn't graduated from college? Or perhaps I sound
like a part-timer who isn't likely to stick the contract out or isn't fully
competent for the demands of a professional tw job? I'm not embarrassed
about my studies, but I don't want it to interfere with my ability to get a
good tw job.

Your opinions welcome. Please reply directly, not to the list.

Thanks.
Kimberly, continuing in Atlanta GA