RE: Resumes and such

Subject: RE: Resumes and such
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 07:16:04 -0800 (PST)

Ya, know...it's funny, but when I've critiqued
resumes, my pet peeve has been that people use such
mamby-pamby words to describe what they do. While it
is not considered "civil" to talk about yourself in
day-to-day life, resumes are the place where this does
not apply.

Too many people use terms such as "..was involved
with..", or "...participated in the development..."

This doesn't tell me anything.

Use "power" words". "I was responsible for...", or "I
saved the company...", or "I successfuly managed.."

Also, some words get people's attention: Saved money,
reduced cost, increased market share, decreased
turnaround, met regulatory compliance...Tell me, as a
manager, what YOU ARE GOING TO DO FOR ME!. I don't
care what you want to do and I'm not interested in
anything you are proud of if it isn't going to:

1) Make me money.
2) Make me look better to my peers, management, or
board of directors.
3) Hurt my competition.
4) Get me dates with tall, slim redheads (Ok, so I may
not want all of the same things that you want :).

Remember...resumes are not written for the writer,
they are written for the reader.

> Here are some other ways to get some serious hits on
> great tech comm
> opportunities: try keywords like "research",
> "interview", "process
> modeling", "usability", "project management",
> "consensus building", and
> "strategic planning". These worked well for me in
> obtaining lots of
> interest for senior-level positions.
>
> Connie

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"The art of creating software that is usable by individuals is a communication skill. It is not a programming skill."
--Bill Atkinson, creator of MacPaint and HyperCard