Re: What department are you in?

Subject: Re: What department are you in?
From: JBauman -at- Safety-Kleen -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:33:01 -0600

Hello...

I'm part of the Information Systems dept. and the Lotus Notes Development
sub-dept. I'm the only technical writer left after four years with the company.
When I started, there were two other writers, but after about two years, one
became a Lotus Notes Administrator, and after three years the other became a
Lotus Notes Developer. I've worn some other hats through the years as a back-up
person (with limited functions) to Lotus Notes Administration and to Mainframe
programs processing. I suppose with the various down-sizings in companies ( a
big one's been going on here for over a year), the more likely that multiple
duties must be taken on. When I started, I wrote mostly mainframe user manuals
and for the last two years I write the help documentation for applications
created by the Lotus Notes developers.

I think I've gotten a broader experience because of my situation----more so than
if I was in a department with several writers. Also, it makes the work day a
bit more interesting.

I've been in this field a total of just over four years having come from a
totally different career area---like many others as I see from reading the
postings. Even though my flexibility is sometimes a bit strained, the company
is a very good training ground for this field and for other related fields as
well.

Take care!...
Jim Bauman
Safety-Kleen Corp.