RE: Resumes and such

Subject: RE: Resumes and such
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: JKWilson -at- concentric -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:17:39 PST

Tony Markatos said:

Powerful resumes are created using the PAR (Problem, Action, Result)
approach. For each major accomplishment, I state the following: [snip]

Kimberly responds:

This is assuming you are involved in powerful projects. I hate to say it, because I like my work, but most of the documentation I do isn't really that important......There are parts of my job
that challenge me, but they don't really come under the PAR format (how to describe an obscure procedure graphically in a single 8x11 sheet, for example).

Tony Markatos responds:

You have powerful achievements. The ability to describe obscure procedure graphically is a big one (a picture is worth a thousand words).

Probably my biggest criticism of developers is that most like the fun of "hands-on" coding, but they truly dislike the rigors of analysis. I, with about four years Technical Writing experience (I have experience in other things, but that's something else) have only once been handed-off one flow-chart of any rigor from design.

It has been my experience, that developers (and Technical Writers) do not like to create graphic description of procedure out of fear of criticism (i.e., with graphics, errors in logic are glaringly obvious). And therefore, someone strong enough to face potential criticism, is powerful.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)