Working through angencies

Subject: Working through angencies
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L, (Tech Writers)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:57:25 -0500

I have to agree with Andrew on this one. We have to understand the
relationships among the three parties here: tech writer, agency, and
client. The fact is, the agency cares only about the technical writer
insofar as the writer will enhance the relationship between the agency
and the client. Remember, the agency wants the client's money. We are
the means to that end.

I have found that working *with* the agency, in a prudent and ethical
manner, benefits *me* as well as the agency. Good agencies will want to
work with people who work with them and make their clients happy.

Too many of my colleagues have far too high expecations concerning what
the agency ought to do for them.

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center