Re: Where do 'old' techwriters go to die?

Subject: Re: Where do 'old' techwriters go to die?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: JEldard -at- vinca -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 16:45:16 PST

John Eldard asks what do TW's do (for an oncore) after 10 years in the field.

Tony Markatos responds:

I market myself as a technical communicator. Besides TW, I have significant experience in:

1.) Systems Analysis. Data flow diagrams are procedures - they are just graphical (and to a higher level of abstraction). And the creation of entity relationship diagrams is very simular to the TW task of standardization-of-terminology.

2.) Software QA. Test procedures (i.e., test scripts) are just that: procedures. The primary input to the software QA process (at least for black box/systems testing) should be the requirements spec. But since nobody has these (at least any that are of real use), the second best input is the end-user manual - so, who better than a TW to develope systems-level test cases (and the resulting test procedures)?

3.) And the winner is - Telemarketing. I have done this several times while in-between "real" jobs. The last telemarketing gig that I did was for a major department store chain - selling appliance service contracts. Ain't nothing like cold-calling people during the dinner hour and trying sell them a freezer service contract to get the old-juices flowing again!

Tony Markatos
(tony -at- hotmail -dot- com)