RE: Cooperation (Was: contacting Competitors)

Subject: RE: Cooperation (Was: contacting Competitors)
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:27:58 -0500

To All

Several Thoughts:

1) Wouldn't you stretch your imagination, and think that sharing ideas
through the TECHWR-L listserv might be contacting your 'competition'?

2) Even if we do not 'see' directly the fruits of another's labor, by
asking questions we can understand the thoughts that go into the writing of
'documentation' of whatever sort.

3) Just food for thought for those involved in the
'contracting'/'consulting' game.

4) I believe that we all know and understand the difference between
proprietary information, and information that is, and could be shared to
raise the 'standard' of our profession a little higher. We all can give
general observations on what has worked for us in the past, and not betray
any 'company' secrets

5) If you want to see what other organizations are doing in the way of
documentation, you can always ask for a sample of company literature. Some
of it you might have to pay for, but other information is 'free' for the
asking. At least, that has been my experience.

6) Unless your company is in 'direct competition' with the other company,
why not just ask?

Harry Bacheler

(These thoughts are my own, and have not been influenced directly by anyone
else.)