RE: References (was Re: Agencies

Subject: RE: References (was Re: Agencies
From: Kimberly <JKWilson -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 00:04:16 -0500

At 06:04 PM 12/8/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>(Kevin McLauchlan was asking how to use references when he's worked at one
>place for years)
>
>Are you really afraid of losing your position there if they find out you're
>looking? How about using a peer reference such as an SME or another writer,
>rather than your manager?
>
>Justin Cascio

I had a similar problem when I changed lines of work -- none of my previous
employers could talk about the skills I planned to use in my new job. Most
of my former employers also wouldn't give references. The standard two
questions (referred to HR, btw) were: yes/no to confirm whether I worked
there and yes/no on whether they would hire me back. No more.

I used my contacts through non-profit organizations I volunteered for (I
had edited newsletters, books, brochures, etc.), peers and SMEs from former
jobs, and another writer who had worked with me on some volunteer work. In
fact, though I have lots of references now in my contracting world, I still
use a mixture of these (1 each contract manager, peer/SME from former job
and "client" from non-profit volunteer work) for references so my future
employer can get a broader perspective about me.

Kimberly in Atlanta GA