Re: Advanced grammar-checking software?

Subject: Re: Advanced grammar-checking software?
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 10:10:32 -0500

Kimberly wrote:

> A colleague of mine, who doesn't speak English as his first language, asked
> me if I could recommend a grammar-checking application that is more
> comprehensive than Word's built-in grammar checker.
>
> I've never heard of such a thing, so I thought I'd pose it to the List.
>
> Anyone? Anyone?

I haven't been following this stuff in 10 years, but here's what I can
recall:

I think the first grammar checker (certainly the earliest research I
know of) was part of Bell Labs "Writer's Workbench" on Unix, late 70's
or early 80's. Lorinda Cherry was one of the main players. There were
a number of conference or Bell Labs Tech Journal papers, including one
from a US university evaluating it as an aide to foreign students.

There was also a group, I think at U of Utah, working on a "Reader's
Workbench" project. Anyone know if that ever produced anything tech
writers should know about?