Re: Converting screen captures for PDF format

Subject: Re: Converting screen captures for PDF format
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "Burrows, Pat" <pburrows -at- gnlp -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:28:30 -0500

Pat wrote, in part:

>I need to convert a large screen capture into a format that I can place in
>PageMaker, shrink down to about 65% and then export to PDF. Either way,
once I export to PDF the capture turns
>very blurry. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.....

Pat,

If the picture is fine before you create the PDF and not too great after,
you'll probably want to check your compression settings in Distiller. (There
have been numerous discussions about this on the FrameMaker users listserv.
You might want to check the archives at www.frameusers.com.)

In a nutshell, try changing your compression settings in the Job Options for
the Distiller to be Manual using ZIP, rather than the default settings.
We've had very good luck with this and our screen captures--though we don't
follow the same process you do, I have to admit.

It might be worth a shot to just try it. You might also want to check out
the Electronic Publishing Guide provided on the Acrobat 3.0 CD. It's VERY
helpful and has a lot of good information. (I have assumed here that you're
using 3.0--I think some of this will still apply to 4.0 (we just got it, so
I haven't played with it much yet), but I'm not sure they're still providing
the publishing guide on the CD.)

Best of luck to you!

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong