Re: FWD: object-oriented documentation

Subject: Re: FWD: object-oriented documentation
From: "David Castro, The Tech Writer" <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:19:23 -0800 (PST)

> Frame's ability to create books out of any combination of files makes it one
> off-the-shelf answer for this problem.
>
> [snip]
>
> You can make the chapters as big or small as you need them to be towork with
> your modular organization.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to take modularity even further, you can also
> use Frame's conditional text option to tag selected pieces of a file for this
> configuration or that.

While I haven't needed to create 'object oriented documentation' in any jobs
I've worked in, I have heard about various packages that let you go "more
modular" than is logistically possible within Frame's standard features.

The one that I actually remember is the one that was presented at our STC
chapter, called Canterbury, gives you paragraph-, sentence-, and even
word-level control (if you want to get that granular). So if, for example, a
dialog box has different capabilities depending on what parts of the whole
application the client has bought, you can tag the individual
paragraphs/sentences/words that deal with those dialog box parts.

The first web site that I ran across that resells Canterbury was DigiPub (it
sounds familiar...aren't they an advertiser on this list?), at:

http://www.digipubcorp.com/training.html

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com