buyer's guide

Subject: buyer's guide
From: Christi Carew <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:28:12 -0800

Hello...

I almost sent this off before checking the archives, but I somehow
remembered. Unfortunately, I did not find much there, and none of it was
relevant.

My story...

I work for a company that produces telecommunications testing equipment. I
am a lone writer. I've been here three or four months, and it's my first
job at this type of company. We produce a lot of different docs
(installation guides, user guides, app notes, specs, buyer's guides, and more).
My latest project is the buyer's guide. I need to update them.
Unfortunately I've never worked on a buyer's guide before.
The other docs I've worked on so far have needed serious help in just about
every way... from spell checking, to formatting, to ripping out chunks of
unrelated text, to organization, and more.
So I suspect the buyer's guides are in a similar state, but I'm not sure
how to tell!!!
I've looked up at least 20 different companies on line in hopes of finding
buyer's guides that I could compare to, but I've found nothing.

So I guess what I am wondering is...

Do you any of you know where I can find samples of good buyer's guides?
Do you know what exactly should be in a buyer's guide?
How exactly does it differ from a data sheet about a product? (I do believe
that the buyer's guide is more in depth.)

Any thoughts, help, examples, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Christi Carew

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

christi -at- sageinst -dot- com
p. 831-761-6565
f. 831-761-2452

Sage Instruments
240 Airport Blvd.
Freedom, CA 95019
www.sageinst.com

"If you can't explain it to an 8-year-old, you don't understand it"
-Albert Einstein