Bitmap distortion in online documentation

Subject: Bitmap distortion in online documentation
From: Andrea McCauley <Andrea -dot- McCauley -at- slhnet -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:17:59 -0500

Fellow listers:

My company is considering making a move from hard-copy documentation to
online documentation. I'm preparing a test .hlp file to present to them as
an example of online documentation. In the current hard-copy documentation
created in MS Word, we have several screen shots in the form of .bmps. My
problem is that higher-ups would like to keep screen shots in the online
documentation.

When I import the files and .bmps from existing MS Word documents into RH,
the .bmps are illegible. If I reshoot the screen shots, paste them in RH's
Image Workshop, then use the resize tool, the images are still illegible. I
am shrinking the .bmps to 50-55% in order for them to be proportionate on
the screen. Also, when I print the topic, the .bmps are terrible.

I recommended that they leave the screen shots out or at least use a range
in a particular screen shot. They still insist on the entire screen shot.
Can anybody suggest a way to keep the .bmps legible in online help and keep
my higher-ups happy by including whole screen shots in the help files?

BTW, I'm using RH Office 2000, Win95, Fullshot/Paint Shop Pro (for screen
captures). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated......

Andrea