Re: The need for accuracy?(Language acquistion)

Subject: Re: The need for accuracy?(Language acquistion)
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: bbatorsk -at- admin -dot- nj -dot- devry -dot- edu
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:05:24 -0600

Once upon another lifetime, I took a course dealing with how humans acquire
language. I used my own three-year old and a neighbor's three and six year old
kids as sample sources - their grasp of abstract concepts, how they used
language, their sentence structure. It was fascinating to watch the progression.

Any language (human language, at least, can't speak for the non-human ones,
although a talkative canine has me
convinced canines have grammar rules, too! Sounds like punctuated sentences to
me!) has strict grammar rules
which we internalize; we all have a "native dialect," whether it is informal
standard American English, nonstandard
American English, Canadian French, French French, whatever. Whatever our parents
speak, how they speak to us,
that tends to be our "native dialect."

I found the whole course fascinating, especially since I had a miniature test
subject to observe! Helped me understand the necessity for all the why"
questions that can drive you batty...

Jo Byrd