Do you just bite your tongue?

Subject: Do you just bite your tongue?
From: "Debbie Packer" <dpacker -at- stingrayboats -dot- com>
To: "Tech Writer List (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:48:47 -0500

I could really use some advice. I'm really having a hard time with this.
Part of my job is to write copy for our web site and other documentation.
Many times, I will get copy from "someone above me" that they would like to
use. I'm usually asked to read through it and correct any errors before I
publish it.

Several days ago, I received a couple of paragraphs to be used for a new
page. I went through it, corrected the errors, and incorporated it with my
page. Today, I received an update. The person had taken the text I had put
on the page, updated it with some extra copy and added back in 4 or 5 of the
errors that I had corrected.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Today, I politely attached the
changes to an e-mail and forwarded them to my supervisor. I informed him of
the situation and told him that I was not going to publish the document with
the errors, but that I would not argue if he chose to. He did. Either way, I
still think it makes most of us look bad, but what do you do? Do you argue
for what is right or do you keep your mouth shut so you can keep your job?

Thanks!

Debbie