RE: XML in documentation

Subject: RE: XML in documentation
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'Techwhirl Reader'" <techwhirl -at- mail -dot- technicalcommunication -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:25:42 -0500

Hallo:

What are you looking to do with XML? How does XML streamline your
documentation process more than SGML would . . .? XML is getting a lot of
hype right now, but is there anything beyond the hype, at this point?

For example, I write once in FrameMaker. I publish to PDF for online book
and MS HTML Help via WebWorks publisher, all without changing the source. If
I chose, I could import a second Frame template into my book to create a
radically different look from my one document source, such as a 4:3 aspect
ratio. Similarly, WebWorks Publisher, heck even FrameMaker's native filters,
take me to HTML ( with CSS and, Frame has XML export, after a fashion). With
FrameMaker + SGML, XML is even more approachable.

So, what are you getting XML to do for you. Where are you publishing, and
are you getting there by swapping DTDs?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com