Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?

Subject: Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:41:42 -0500

Grega, Will

> I am attempting to articulate the definitive baseline set of skills a
> technical writer should have, apart from anything industry-specific.

That would be the set of skills a writer should have.

A technical writer is a writer working in an industry specific setting with
(hopefully) industry specific knowledge.

The writer is technical by virtue of the technological setting in which they
work and the technical nature of their subject matter. There are no other
skills which separate a technical writer from a writer in general.