Re: Ladies and gentlemen, I... er...

Subject: Re: Ladies and gentlemen, I... er...
From: Chris Collins-Wooley <cwooley -at- us -dot- oracle -dot- com>
To: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il, markl -at- gilian -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:17:50 -0500

Mark Levinson wrote:

The boss wants me to speak to the employees for half
an hour or so. ... They already have too much confidence
in themselves as writers rather than too little. ...

The instructor of my first tech writing class conducted a
necktie-tying demonstration. She described the exercise as an
illustration of what tech writing is all about, but mostly it
humbled us. I have found it to more challenging and amusing than
shoe tying, etc.

Bring a necktie to your presentation. Enlist the help of two
subjects, one who knows how to tie a necktie, the other who doesn't.
Stand them back to back and prevent any interactions.
Be prepared in case you there's a smartypants who wants you to give
the instructions.

Regards,

Chris Collins-Wooley
Sr. Technical Writer