Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?

Subject: Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:18:16 -0600

> But if you're documenting a system that requires installation,
> configuration, and various forms of integration with other systems, then
> you're not doing your readers any justice if you don't understand the
> technology.

But the subject was the *baseline* skills needed to be a tech writer. I'm not
saying we don't need technical knowledge, but the average tech writer does not
need this depth of knowledge of any one particular technology unless they are
writing for that audience. Any of our areas of specialization (including mine)
are not necessarily the lowest common denominator.

Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc