RoboHelp 2000

Subject: RoboHelp 2000
From: BlaineBachman -at- bia -dot- gov
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:15:09 -0700

A small group (4) of us are poised to start the help project portion of a
system development effort. The essential parameters of the project are:

1. Oracle Database
2. Visual Basic front-end (forms/screens, etc.) organized as seven (or so)
applications with one main-menu entry-point (did I explain that correctly?)
3. Windows 9x/NT4.x environment
4. Customer wants one all-encompassing help file for the entire system
5. Customer wants context help for virtually all fields on each form.

We are perplexed with the evident restrictions of the above-named product.
We are trying to convince ourselves that we will be able to use RH HTML
over RH Classic (we like the GUI better, are enthused about some of the
additional features, and want to deliver a product using up-to-date
technology).

We are concerned because:

1. The documentation for RH HTML's "What's This?" Help Composer states
that the Help Composer only works on C and C++ files (whereas the similar
product for RH Classic also works on VB files).
2. RH HTML the documentation suggests that there must be a one-to-one
relationship between Help files and Context Help files.

Have we read the manual/online help correctly?

If we are able to run the "What's This?" composer against our multiple VB
projects, can we combine the results into one Context Help file?

How much extra work are we getting ourselves into if we have to create the
context help map 100% manually? (Is it significant enough that we should
decide in favor of RH Classic?)

TIA for any help!

-Blaine Bachman