Re: translation software

Subject: Re: translation software
From: Andres Heuberger <andresh -at- fxtrans -dot- com>
To: Janice Bushe <jbushe -at- wennsoft -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 08:53:27 -0500

At 01:30 PM 12/27/99 -0600, Janice Bushe wrote:

I've been asked by management if translation software from Trados would
be good for us. We haven't translated anything before now. Has anyone
ever used Trados? How'd you like it?

Janice

Janice,

The first answer to your question is that Trados Workbench is emerging as the industry standard for translation-memory software. The application -- while somewhat unintuitive and in need of lots and lots of hardware to properly run it -- is widely used in the translation industry.

The second answer is that Trados is not "translation software." Rather, translation-memory applications are computer-aided translation tools that use database and code-protection features to simplify the translation process. They are designed to improve the quality and efficiency of the human translation process, not to replace it.

(A recent issue of our email newsletter, Multilingual Compliance News, discussed the workings of translation-memory technology. Please send me an email off-list if you would like me to email you a copy of the newsletter.)

Regards,
Andres

ForeignExchange Translations, Inc.
Multilingual Compliance Management