Re: Word's TOC

Subject: Re: Word's TOC
From: Cheryl Magadieu <cherylm -at- atg -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:54:36 -0500

cmckenzie -at- gis-global -dot- com wrote:
> Is there a way to have a TOC for two separate documents? I am trying to have a
> master TOC in one document and link to the pages numbers for the other document,
> instead of filling the separate document with "ERROR BOOKMARK NOT DEFINED?"

You can use Word's Referenced Document field to create a TOC for
separate documents. I've never tried it in a manual, but it sounds
handy.

Word's online help has a wee bit of info about the RD field. Cathy
Clarke and Ron Brown wrote an article that explains how to use the field
(Word can do it, Communicator, Summer 1998: Vol. 6, No. 2) It's at
http://www.istc.org.uk/wordcan.htm.

I'm not sure where the RD field should go in the document. After reading
Word's online help and the Communicator article, I thought the field
should go right after the TOC field. To test the placement, I created
two documents. Doc1 contained the TOC and chapters 1 and 2, and Doc2
contained chapters 3 and 4. I set chapter 3's page numbering to start at
page 4. I tried putting the RD field after the TOC field in Doc1, but
when Word generated the TOC, it put the entries for chapters 3 and 4
before chapters 1 and 2, even though they started on later pages. So I
moved the RD field to the end of chapter 2 in Doc1, and Word generated a
proper TOC, with chapters 3 and 4 after chapters 1 and 2. I don't know
if this is the official way to do it, but it seemed to work.

Cheryl