How do you handle revisions for translation?

Subject: How do you handle revisions for translation?
From: Krista Van Laan <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:05:07 -0800

I've got a question for those of you who work with translators.
What do you do when a document is revised and updated? Change bars
don't seem to be an answer because we are still doing a lot of
rewriting and updating as we develop the product. We do frequent revisions,
too.

We keep track of changes by listing them, but this is very broad, so it
might say something like "Updated installation procedure" rather than
itemizing each change within the installation procedure.

I'm thinking that the right way to handle this is to keep the list of
changes, but make it more detailed. Before I make a decision about this,
I'd appreciate some ideas from people who have done it. Up until now,
I've been giving the translator the entire new document with the
list of broad changes, but that isn't good enough.

Krista

Krista Van Laan VeriSign, Inc.
Documentation Manager 1350 Charleston Road
kvanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com Mountain View, CA 94043
tel: (650) 429-5158 fax: (650) 961-7300