What does a Buisness Analyst do?

Subject: What does a Buisness Analyst do?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:22:54 PST

Question to all listserv members:

What does a Business Analyst (BA) REALLY do? I am considering a position doing such.

I have read a lot of internet job ads for Business Analysts. Many say that the primary thing that BA's do is "Develop function models and functional requirements specifications." However, I have been in software for almost fifteenth years and have never seen anyone - including individuals with a BA title - create a data flow diagram (the most common formal functional model/specification tool). So I am mystified as to what BA's do.

All responses appreciated.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)