RE: What does a Buisness Analyst do?

Subject: RE: What does a Buisness Analyst do?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: brent -dot- jones -at- jadesolutions -dot- com, tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:39:31 PST

Brent Jones responded to Tony Markatos:

I don't understand the above. If you've never seen anyone do it [ustilize SSAD] in 15 years, how can you assert that it's the most common formal tool?

Tony Markatos responds:

A couple of months ago, I visited the bookstore at the local major university (Cleveland State U.). Guess what they are still using to teach the core systems analysis course in their DP cirriculm? A Yourdon book on SSAD! Also, a review of literature (at local libaries) revealed that SSAD is the most commonly "written about" formal tool.

Having stated the above, your right, SSAD is seldom actually used - it is often written about and taught, but seldom employed.

(Actually, while I have never seen anyone else use SSAD, I, myself (and team members on projects that I have lead) have utilized SSAD very successfully. Properly used, they are an extremely productive tool - (especially compared using no formal methodology). I can not believe that I am all alone.))

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)