RE: Distiller Y2K problem?

Subject: RE: Distiller Y2K problem?
From: Angela Hill <ahill -at- wwg -dot- com>
To: "'CarolLee<carol -dot- lee -at- peerlogic -dot- com>'" <carol -dot- lee -at- peerlogic -dot- com>, "Twlist (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:09:17 -0800

Hi Carol,

I just noticed the very same problem yesterday. It looks to me like Acrobat
thinks the year is 19100 (nineteen-one hundred)--one more than 1999, of
course :-). I'm sure Lydia is right that upgrading to Acrobat 4.0 will take
care of the problem. I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only
one this is happening to!

Good luck and have fun,

Angela
ahill -at- wwg -dot- com

Subject: Distiller Y2K problem?
From: Carol Lee <carol -dot- lee -at- peerlogic -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:28:50 -0600

Have any of you generated a PDF file since the new year? I'm
getting
garbled dates for the Creation and Modified dates in the General
Information dialog (viewed from Exchange or Reader). My source file
is
Framemaker, but I get the same results distilling a Word file. I'd
appreciate any additional info or verification of the problem, or
tips on a
solution or workaround. Here's info about my environment and the
troubleshooting done so far if this issue interests you:

OS: NT4SP3,
Framemaker v5.5.6p145
Distiller v3.0.2 (updated from v3.0.1 during troubleshooting)
Exchange v3.0.1
PS Drivers: have tried HP LaserJet 4MP, Xerox DocuTech135 PS2, and
Adobe PS

I've been to Adobe's Web site, read their Y2K statement (says they
just use
the OS date and all products should work jes fine) and
browsed/searched the
various support documents. I've also checked the techwr-l archives
and
various other Internet resources. Some useful info and tips found,
but
none specific to this issue.

I'm getting pretty convinced that there is a Y2K problem with the
Distiller. It does seem to be getting the date from the OS....when
change the date format in the Regional Settings, I get different
garbled
dates shown in the PDF doc info dialog!!!

System Date Format Create/Mod Dates in PDF
dd-MMM-yy D:191000111125719
MM/dd/yyyy 00/11/1910
M/d/yy 0/11/00

If I set the system date to anything prior to 2000, such as December
31,
1999, the Creation and Modified dates in the General Information
dialog for
the PDF document info are correct.

I then generated the PostScript file using different PS drivers, and
looked
at the PS code and the generated PDF code----the date appears
correctly in
all the .ps files but garbled as above in the generated PDF files,
which to
me indicates a problem with the Distiller rather than the PS driver.

I thought one workaround might be to specfy the doc info using
pdfmark
operators in the Frame source file to override the Distiller
information.
I've been unsuccessful with that and am not sure what the problem is
at
this point. I upgraded to Distiller v3.0.2 because the Adobe Web
site
indicated that v3.0.1 had problems performing PDFmark operations in
files
larger than 128K (which mine is), but that didn't make any
difference.
Tried a couple of experiments (distilling with and without epilog
and
prolog, various pdfmark syntax changes based on different pdfmark
reference
manuals and examples, ...) and it either distills but doesn't pick
up any
of the info or generates an error. I am new to PDFmark, so if
anyone can
verify whether this would provide a workaround, has a working
example
(Frame file with pdfmark info that correctly distills), or can
recommend a
good reference book, I'd appreciate it.

In fact, I'd appreciate knowing whether any of you are experiencing
the
same problem or can generate PDFs that show the correct 2000
Creation and
Modification dates. A writer in our Phoenix office tried on both
WinNT and
UNIX platforms and got the same garbled dates as me, so I don't
think it's
a user-error or specific to my environment, but there are many ways
to get
to PDF! I tried email to Adobe and it doesn't appear they will
provide any
help other than through their toll-based phone support.

Carol Lee (formerly Kime)
carol -dot- lee -at- peerlogic -dot- com
Austin, TX