Re: Disabling Print

Subject: Re: Disabling Print
From: Christi Carew <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:40:55 -0800

on 1/19/00 6:56 AM, Jessica N. Lange at jlange -at- oee -dot- com wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to disable Print
> from a web browser for a given document?
>
> We create print documents, then 'webify' them
> for our intranet. Apparently people are printing
> them from their web browser, instead of requesting
> a hard-copy from the Documentation Department.
>
> We don't want them to print the web document:
> (a) I'm told that for ISO9000, we need to track
> who gets what document. The Documentation Dept
> does that, but not if someone prints from the intranet.

If you "webify" them by making them PDFs, I think there's a way to disable
printing.

But alternatively...
A friend of mine has a similar problem, but his company's solution is not to
prevent employees from printing them. In fact, they want employees to print
them themselves. To meet the ISO requirements, they are investigating a
'plug-in' (?) that automatically puts a time and date stamp on every printed
document. The 'plug-in' (? app ?) is located on the server.
If you are interested, I can probably get more information.

Good luck.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

christi -at- sageinst -dot- com
p. 831-761-6565
f. 831-761-2452

Sage Instruments
240 Airport Blvd.
Freedom, CA 95019
www.sageinst.com

You may be on the right track, but if you just sit there, you're bound to
get run over.