Re: E-books and traditional books

Subject: Re: E-books and traditional books
From: Christi Carew <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: TechWhrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:03:04 -0800

on 1/10/00 11:31 AM, Marilynne Smith at marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com wrote:
> Why go to a bookstore? Why not select the book from an online bookstore, then
> either print it on your computer or have them send it to you? They can bill a
> credit card.
>
> Still, I'll miss fancy bindings, gold edges (already gone for the most part),
> and fancy end papers.

I realize this seems to be drifting more and more OT, so I will try to say
this quickly, and then I'll refrain from additional posts.

I am a regular purchaser of books both online and at a bookstore.
Online, I buy mostly textbooks or books from authors I've already read.
At the bookstore, I look for new books, or I go to compare several books on
the same subject. I want to be able to compare, side by side, a few books.
I bought a wine tasting book for my parents for Christmas. I tried to buy
online, but I couldn't get a good comparison of the books. I needed to see
the differences (in type setting, style, content, attitude). I couldn't get
this online.
And I can't imagine getting this from e-books. Unless there are many e-books
side by side that I can look at at the same time.

Ok, end of off-topicness for me.

Christi

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

christi -at- sageinst -dot- com
p. 831-761-6565
f. 831-761-2452

Sage Instruments
240 Airport Blvd.
Freedom, CA 95019
www.sageinst.com

You can never entirely stop being what you once were. That's why it's
important to be the right person today, and not put it off till tomorrow.
- Larry Wall