Re: Frame to HTML: Way to preserve tabs?

Subject: Re: Frame to HTML: Way to preserve tabs?
From: "Karen Koldyk" <kkoldyk -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com>
To: <susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:20:03 -0600

Wish I'd read this properly earlier rather than scanning - how I got =
around this problem is with a similar solution as Susan, I moved the code =
samples to a separate document in Frame that did not have a tag with tabs. =
From there it was a simple matter of removing all the tabs and dropping =
the piece back into Frame. It will then convert to HTML quite smoothly. If =
you use a non-proportional font such as courier replacing the tabs with =
spaces works very well. I tend to use about a 9 point to get all the code =
in easily.

Karen Koldyk
SQA Tech. Writer
Fleming Companies Inc.
kkoldyk -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com

Carolyn Yount wrote:

>I've written a reference guide in FrameMaker that I then saved as HTML...
>The only problem is preserving tabs that I've used in code
>samples.

The problem isn't specific to Frame, it's an HTML thing. I convert
from Word to HTML and had to resolve the same problem.

To prepare code examples before converting to HTML, replace all tabs
with spaces *and* replace all hard returns with soft returns or newline
characters. On Windows platforms, the keystroke is shift+enter -- and
yes, this works just as well in Frame as it does in Word. (I've made a
macro for this 'cause I use it all the time!)

Once you've prepared the text as a single paragraph, you can use <pre>
tags and achieve the desired results without double spacing.

HTH!

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/=20
susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com http://www.vertel.com=20

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based =
Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Sponsored by Rose Hill, Your Business and Career Coach.=20
"Assume Success! Live Your Passion!" Get the gist at=20
www.coachrose.com then call 503.629.4804 for details!

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: kkoldyk -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com=20
m=20
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit=20