RE: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word

Subject: RE: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Mark Baker'" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:22:21 -0500

Mark,

I agree with one of your points, MS Word does do a good job for word
processing but its DTP functionality still lacks significantly, but my
limited exposure to 2000 showed a great deal of improvement. In the
meantime, you can get around its quirks quite well with a little practice,
and it's easier to find folks who can handle it for some the mundane tasks
when the deadlines get tight. I have no experience with FrameMaker, and
frankly haven't ever had a problem finding great opportunities without the
experience. If I ever need to learn it I will, but I think between Word,
other publishing tools, HATs and other programs, I've been able to more than
compensate--at least my employers and their customers have always thought
so.

On the other hand, I am a writer, but more importantly I am a communicator.
My work consists of words and images designed to convey information to my
audience to help them do their jobs--accurately, completely, more
efficiently, etc. It isn't a waste of my talent to do layout and design, it
adds to the synergy of the final product.

Creative types are left-brainers--layout designers, artists and writers--so
I guess that makes at least two of us who are not in their right minds :)

Have a good one!

Connie Giordano