RE: tech communications job descriptions

Subject: RE: tech communications job descriptions
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'William Swallow'" <william -dot- swallow -at- aptissoftware -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:56:02 -0500

Bruce,

As you can tell, the "it all depends" mantra applies here. My title is
Senior Technical Writer, and haven't seen a formal job description in the
three months I've been here. I do all four of those things, plus some
business and systems analysis, QA and testing, training, information and
user interface design, marketing support, and user support. All of these
functions could be and frequently are separate jobs with unique job
descriptions. I got lucky--I don't have to pick one and ignore the rest!

In my experience, the size and maturity of the company, industry, good old
corporate culture, and the interest and talent of the associates make a huge
difference in planning the job description, and letting it evolve. Bill's
given you a good start, but it's a very basic start, you could go in a
hundred different directions from here. Good luck!

Connie Giordano