RE: Process Documentation (WAS: Disabling Print)

Subject: RE: Process Documentation (WAS: Disabling Print)
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "David Chisma" <dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:34:17 -0500

To All:

In reference to the 'controlling' of an ISO9000 document, let us consider
the
'community' being addressed.

CONTROL Definition

Is the control 'mandatory' on ALL copies of the ISO9000 document??

.... OR ....

Is the control actually 'mandatory' on the 'editable' (i.e.,
soft-copy/electronic) copy.

CONTROL Requirements

A) If the 'control' is mandatory on ALL copies of ISO9000 related
documents, then --

1) EVERY ISO 9000 DOCUMENT MUST BE "ENCRYPTED" AND AN ACCESS LIST, WITH
PASSWORD,
IS REQUIRED.

2) IT MUST NEVER NEVER NEVER BE VIEWABLE TO ANYONE, BY ANY MEANS,
EXCEPT TO THE
HOLDERS OF THE PASSWORD.

B) If the 'control' is ONLY mandatory on the editable soft-copy/electronic
version

THEN
Place a notification on the 'web-viewable' copy (whatever format) that
states that the copy is uncontrolled and is provided for 'guidance'
(or some similar word).

Also place a disclaimer that the 'official' version can only be obtained
by written (including email) request.

IMHO, this might address the 'control' issue.

Remember that standards are "guidelines", and most of them permit deviations
if they are documented.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone. They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions
of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I might belong
to."