Re: iff vs. if in documents

Subject: Re: iff vs. if in documents
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:04:18 EST

Several people have firmly corrected my assertion that "if" and "iff" are
synonymous. Chastened, I agree that in Boolean logic, they are different. I
agree that editing comments in code to remove "iff" would be a mistake.

However, what I said was that "iff" is jargon *in the English language.* I
maintain that you should not use "iff" in text, any more than you should use
"and/or" or "until and unless."

-- Steve

P.S.: I note that my spelling checker objects to "iff" 8^)

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong