Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?

Subject: Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?
From: "David Slonosky" <David_Slonosky -at- i2 -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:49:27 -0500

We don't release source and allow modification without some NDAs being signed,
as well as some legal forms that basically state that the customer understands
that we're not responsible if their users blow up servers using the modified
documentation.

David

"Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com> on 01/25/2000 09:34:36 AM

Please respond to "Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com>

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc: (bcc: David Slonosky/Markham/CA/i2Tech)

"Megan Golding" <megan -dot- golding -at- dvtsensors -dot- com> writes:

> [ deleted] A customer of ours wants to
> customize existing training manuals that I wrote. I wonder how frequently
> writers give permission to use sections of their manuals. I told our
> customer I'd waiver the copyright for them and provide them source documents
> to take sections they need for their materials. [deleted]

We do this for some documents, but not others. For example, our
reference manuals are available on-line in a format that customers
can copy the text. We do this so that customers can create their
own custom job instructions for staff - for example, combining our
description of the purposes of various data entry fields with
company standards for acceptable data entry.

For other documents we do not provide source. For example, we
have a course that we feel would benefit customers most when
taken at our site; this course is also a source of revenue for us. We
do not allow customers to copy the book for that class and do not
sell that book separately. Other documents that may not be copied
may contain proprietary information or may describe a process that
we cannot recommend if modified.

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Register now for a Professional Technical Writing Certificate at
www.online-learning.com/index1.html. An ideal professional development
opportunity, PTW begins February 15, 2000 and lasts 4 months.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: David_Slonosky -at- I2 -dot- COM