RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?

Subject: RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?
From: MAGGIE SECARA <SECARAM -at- mainsaver -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Backer, Corinne'" <CBacker -at- glhec -dot- org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:53:32 -0800

Corinne asked:
> My situation:
>
> Questions:
> 1. In your opinion, do I need to worry about officially applying for
> copyrights? (I'm in the US)

In my informed but unofficial opinion, no, you don't.

> 2. If I don't go through the official gov't process, would Trish's method
> cover us in a dispute?

The mail it to yourself method is really only useful for unpublished work.
Anything that actually is printed and distributed, especially with a date on
it, shows that you published it and when.

> 3. Also, if I don't complete the official process, can I include copyright
> information in my manuals?

I do. The copyright exists all by itself. No reason not to make a note of
it with the date.

> We do have a lawyer on staff, but he's the CEO and I don't chat with him
> regularly. ;)

How about an email? :-) Even so, not every lawyer is well-versed in laws
involving copyright and intellectual property. If you express a concern to
your CEO, however, I'm sure he can find the right person to ask.

And that about plumbs the depth of my understanding on this topic <VBG>

MaggiRos