RE: Interviewing writers

Subject: RE: Interviewing writers
From: "Robert Parker" <rparker -at- welkintech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:45:02 -0800

You might also consider two very simple tests:

1. Present this test: "Tell me how to do something. I don't care what it is,
as long as you know how to do it and I don't." See how well the interviewee
can explain something that they're familiar and comfortable with.

2. Pick a simple task, like using Explorer to copy files from one location
to another, and have them write the instructions. (Assure them that you
won't "grade it" in front of them.)

Between these two tests, you should find out whether the candidate can play
nicely with other people and whether he/she has the basic ability to
"explain things to others."

Just something to think about.
Regards,
Robert Parker
rparker -at- welkintech -dot- com
Welkin Technical Communications
http://www.welkintech.com/
We make technical communications concise, elegant, and effective.