RE: Using Word and OLE Automation to create manuals

Subject: RE: Using Word and OLE Automation to create manuals
From: Dave Neufeld <Dave_Neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com>
To: "'Deborah Cooper'" <dcooper -at- edispatch -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:32:58 -0800

Hi Deborah,

Are you inserting the screen shots by reference? If so then how about this:

1. For each of the 5 manuals, create a graphics directory below the
directory containing your template word document.

2. Put the screenshots for each different manual into the appropriate
graphic directory.

3. View the field codes for the inserted graphics and insert a document
variable within the path name of the code.

4. Ensure that the corresponding screen shots are named identically in each
of the graphics folders.

5. Redefine the variable for each manual.

Haven't tried it. Don't know if it works. But it's what I would try first.

good luck! Tell me if it works!

David Neufeld
Technical Publications
Spectrum Signal Processing, Inc.
dave_neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com
http:\\www.spectrumsignal.com
"no matter where you go..... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

:)I have five manuals that are about 40 pages in length. The
:)only difference
:)between each manual is the screen shots I have included. I can use a
:)program in VBA to write an OLE automation application that loads Word
:)with a template document (i.e., the manual) and somehow puts
:)a placeholder
:)in that document for each screen shot. Then, I'd like to be
:)able to run a
:)macro
:)or the VB app so that it replaces the placeholder with the appropriate
:)screen
:)shot., thereby producing a "custom" version of the document.