Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?

Subject: Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Kimberly <JKWilson -at- concentric -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:02:41 -0800 (PST)

> I thought it very odd indeed that a recruiter and
> client would insist on
> this. I thought this ethic (show but don't share)
> was pretty widely known
> in the IT market.

Not at all. They can ask for anything they want. You
can say no to anything you want.

> As an aside, I don't have writing samples that are
> NOT from my previous
> employers, other than a few newsletter articles and

Make some. Maybe put together a 3-4 page web site with
some of your own written material.

Maybe do what I did just a couple of days ago: To my
non-computer-biz friends, I've become the "Shell
Answer Man" for questions they may have regarding
their computers, everything from how to print a file
to how to attach a graphic to an email. Simple stuff?
Not if you don't know how.

A few days ago, a friend emailed me, asking me how to
attach some image files that I created to an AOL
email. Instead of walking him through it on the phone,
I sat down and wrote a 15 step set of instructions,
from how to save the graphic from my web site to his
local hard drive, to attaching the image from his hard
drive to an email.

I wrote it just as if i was writing it for a paying
customer. Took me about 20 minutes. I forwarded it to
him and a day later, he says it "worked like a charm".

In another instance, my Mom asked how to print only a
section of a long email from an AOL message. I wrote a
7 step process on how to copy to clipboard, launch
Wordpad, paste into Wordpad, and print the Wordpad
text.

If you try and with a little imagination, you can
develop a collection of material.

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."
http://im.yahoo.com