Re: STC SIGs - scam or resource?

Subject: Re: STC SIGs - scam or resource?
From: jboskey -at- wheels -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:24:39 -0600

Darren - I am a member of the Chicago chapter of STC, and I have had
mixed reactions to the STC SIGs. I am in the Lone Writers SIG, which
has a relatively active email listserv. They supposedly will also have
a newsletter, but I haven't gotten one yet. I am also in the
Information Design SIG, which has a listserv that isn't active, but I
did receive a welcome brochure in the mail.

I also signed up for the Online Design SIG in Feb 1999, but haven't
heard anything from them. I attempted to contact their membership
chair from the address on the SIG website, but the message bounced.
With some mixed feelings, I signed up for the Online Design SIG again
in 2000 with plans to find the manager of the SIG at the STC
conference in Orlando this year and figure out what's going on. If I
continue to get little response out of them, I probably will not sign
up for any more SIGs.

I agree, it does feel like they are often a scam. I don't know that
much about the higher levels of STC offices - is there someone we
could talk to about investigating the resourcefulness of the SIGs?

Julie Boskey
jboskey -at- wheels -dot- com

_________________________________
Subject: STC SIGs - scam or resource?
Author: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com> at i-mail
Date: 01/27/2000 9:22 AM

Good morning,

I was just renewing my STC membership and once again was
confounded by their offer of joining Special Interest Groups
(SIGs). I actually belonged to several last year, and the only
advantage I found was being able to be on the Management email
listserv, which is not particularly active. I don't actually
think I've received anything from the other groups that I
couldn't otherwise get for free. Does anybody else feel like
they're getting scammed out of their $8 (CDN) x # of SIGs? Or am
I just missing the boat here? Thanks.

Darren Barefoot
Meridian Project Systems
Manager of Documentation
604-904-0822 ext. 112
dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com
www.mps.com

I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have
not had the time to make it shorter. - Blaise Pascal

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Register now for a Professional Technical Writing Certificate at
www.online-learning.com/index1.html. An ideal professional development
opportunity, PTW begins February 15, 2000 and lasts 4 months.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: jboskey -at- WHEELS -dot- COM