RE: Interviewing writers

Subject: RE: Interviewing writers
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: CMartin -at- serena -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:42:38 PST

Chuck Martin said:

If I were interviewing a tech writer and decided to give a small written test, and got a response that, verbally or non-verbally, communicated the message that "I didn't expect this," that
person sure wouldn't be at the top of my hiring candidate's list.

Tony Markatos responds:

What you are implying is that writing skills are a primary determinant to one's being able to create highly usable end-user documentation. I have never experienced such (15 years in technical communications). Skills in end-user task analysis, documentation organizing, estimating, and verification - these drive quality documentation efforts. Writing, editing, grammar, and desktop publishing have a RELATIVELY minor impact.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)