RE: Importing Word Tables into Frame

Subject: RE: Importing Word Tables into Frame
From: "Backer, Corinne" <CBacker -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:44:55 -0600

I have never found a way to cleanly import tables from Word to Frame, I
tried off and on for about a year and finally gave up. Here's what I do
instead:

1. In Word, save the file as a WordPerfect 5.x doc. (I don't know why, it
just works better.)
2. Import the WP file into the Frame doc you're working on (remember: Copy
Into Document rather than Import By Reference; if you forget, double-click
on the Imported By Reference section and choose Convert To Text).
2. In the table only, search for \p (hard graf return) and replace with \r
(soft return). This will keep your columns straight for the next step. I
would discourage using Replace All, unless you're sure it won't mess up your
other text (Replace All can't be Undone).
3. Count the columns.
4. Convert the table to text.
5. Select all text from the table, and convert back to a table with the # of
columns from step 3, using your preferred table format (don't forget to
select/de-select Heading Rows as needed).
6. Search for \r and replace with \p.

That should do it. You may have to fix a few graf tags, etc., but that
depends on how goofy the Word file was.
HTH
Corinne