Re: User Guide Question

Subject: Re: User Guide Question
From: "Gen Whitt" <Gen -dot- Whitt -at- SDInc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 12:59:03 -0800

Hi Joanne. I know I'm late on this thread, but didn't see that anyone else
offered this information:

I have two excellent computer dictionaries on my shelf. Both list file
extensions by first letter (.exe listed under "e") rather than in a
"numbers and symbols" pre-A section.

In the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary, ".exe" is listed after
"exclusive OR." ".doc" is listed before "dock."

The Computer Glossary lists extensions alphabetically, but without the dot:
for example, "EXE file" is listed after "executive."

I'm not suggesting you necessarily have to do what they did, but it's worth
looking at what's out there. If I were making the choice, I would follow
the Computer Glossary format: in your case, "cpk file."

Best,

Gen

From: Joanne Meehl <Jmeehl -at- datum -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:15:29 -0500

A question from this newbie: Where, in an A-to-Z user guide, would an entry
for .cpk go? Or any "dot" entries, for that matter?
I couldn't find anything in the archives on this. And my style guides don't
tell me, so I'm turning to you all.
Thanks!
Joanne

Gen Whitt