Re: History of TW before the PC and the Internet

Subject: Re: History of TW before the PC and the Internet
From: "Rose Morganti" <Rose -dot- Morganti -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "Curtis Brautigam" <curtisb -at- nurserysupplies -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:05:34 -0800

I've read some of the responses that appear to be from people in the tech
area at the time. I worked for the end user and had to interpret the
information into desk Level how to manuals.

Since I started out back in the seventies and, no there were no defined
"technical writers" all over the place although there may have been some -
somewhere we did not know about.

Usually, you wrote out the information in longhand and someone else typed it
up. Then you edited.

To get screen shots, you typed them in, there was no copy / paste. You
actually drew the pictures, then cut (scissors) them to the size left open
on the hard copy, then taped them into the document. To get the copies to
print, you made a copy, then copied off the copy.

Most of the time the programmers wrote their own documentation if pressed.
Then, we, as supervisors / analysts, wrote the manuals from system level to
desk level.

I think Technical Writers came into more widespread use when the government
wanted everything documented, especially their systems. Think about 78 or
79. Most
of the processing was on Main Frames and formatted screens were not in until
the late seventies very eary eighties.

It was challenging but I have to say I enjoy doing it more today than yester
year.

Rose