Re: Word 2000 and PDF

Subject: Re: Word 2000 and PDF
From: Sandra Law <sandra -at- qmaster -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:26:42 -0700

Mr Smith wrote:

> It has been several years since I've had to use Word to convert my documentation to PDF. (I was very happy with PDFing my Framemaker files, thank
> you!). So I don't have any surprises, can anyone comment on how they currently use Word 2000 to PDF?

There are two ways to create PDFs from WORD documents (that I know of):

* Print to file (printing to postscript printer to create a PRN file which is then opened in Adobe Acrobat Distiller and saved as a PDF)
* Use a WORD feature which is accessed through File/Create Adobe PDF/Print via PDFWriter (This automatically creates a PDF file, saved to the folder in
which the original WORD file was located. PDF files created in this way seem to be a lot larger (KB-wise) than files created with Distiller).

> * Can it easily auto-hyperlink TOC, Index, and X-Refs?

I don't think so. To search a PDF file (or files) you have to create a PDF Index file using the Catalog utility. The index is based on the exclusion of
certain terms, rather than the inclusion. PDF experts likely can help you more with this than I.

> * Is Exchange still the tool to use to tweak the PDF?

As far as I know Exchange is the tool to use to fix minor problems with the document (alignment, blank pages, etc.)

Sandra Law