Re: Murrell's contract (WAS something about 1099s)

Subject: Re: Murrell's contract (WAS something about 1099s)
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: Thomas Neuburger <thomasn -at- twelfthnight -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 19:06:39 -0500

From: Thomas Neuburger <thomasn -at- twelfthnight -dot- com>

> Tom -- Your income *must* have been reported to the
> US Govt in some way (or someone broke the law), and
> you should have gotten a copy of that notification.
> That's what W2s and 1099s are, copies of income
> reports to the Feds.
>
> Sounds like you got unreported (by them) income.

I disagree. As someone else pointed out, if I was a true subcontractor,
they were not under a legal obligation to report what they paid me. I think
the situation is analogous to the situation where I hire a contractor to do
some work on my house. I contract for them to do some work; I pay what they
invoice. I don't report that payment to the Federal, State, or local
governments, nor am I obligated to do so.

Had I been employed by the other company either directly or indirectly, I
would agree with you that they owed me documentation--and may have owed the
Government taxes. As it was, that whole burden was on me. Remember, I was
paying my quarterly taxes--something everyone should do if they're not being
withheld, by the way.

Tom Murrell